Friday, May 8, 2009

Overrated

Nothing gets my goat more than the following sort of exchange:

Me: I'm totally obsessed with _____'s new album!

Other Guy: I always thought _____ was overrated.


Oh, really? Why? By whom? How does that invalidate my enjoyment? Rarely does Other Guy know the answer to those questions. Calling something "overrated" seems to be hipster code for "I feel that I am too cool to like that."

However, this is entertaining. I'll let them explain themselves:

Have you ever wanted to be smart and sassy like Christopher Hitchens, without having to sacrifice your liver or your dignity? Well, here’s your chance!

According to a 2006 New Yorker profile, Hitch once declared, apropos of nothing, “that the four most overrated things in life were champagne, lobsters, anal sex, and picnics.” Like all of Hitch’s opinions, his List offends everyone, for different reasons. Still, you can’t help but admit there’s something to it.


Here's mine:



(illustration brought to you by my new birthday toy).

1 remarks:

Zoe said...

Except for Flobers.

http://flickr.com/zg2001/2733010957

Post a Comment