Saturday, April 4, 2009

Sick of Extrapolating and Netflix reads my blog?

A BlogClassic Double Feature, with entires posted on 3/25 and 3/31, respectively

Sick of Extrapolating


A New Yorker cartoon which accurately captures my TV browsing feelings lately.

The best part is, if you’re a lesbian, you even get to feel that way in movies about “gay people.”

Because “gay people” is code for “gay men.”

And some one needs to figure out away to inform the Netflix recomendation-bot that just because I might occasionally enjoy a film about two girls discovering their forbidden love for each other one fateful summer doesn’t mean I automatically give a crap about two boys doing the same thing.

Which is why, no matter how stupid it was, I’m kind of sad The L Word is off the air. It was nice to have one hour a week in which lesbianism was the norm and they had to go out of their way to include a token guy in the cast.

Netflix Reads my blog?

Or so it would seem, as only a week ago I was complaining about the lack of lesbian-movie-specific recommendations (since the category “Gay and Lesbian” is mostly full of the dudes), and lo... their new, ridiculously specific categories offer me:

“Gay & Lesbian Movies Featuring a Strong Female Lead”

I was also offered:

"Visually Striking Gay/Lesbian Drama"

"Critically-acclaimed Foreign Sci-Fi & Fantasy"

"Cerebral Independent Comedies"

"Romantic Movies from the 1980s"

add “BBC Mini-Series Based on 19th Century Literature” and that pretty much covers my movie preferences.

Color me both impressed and creeped out.

0 remarks:

Post a Comment