Monday, April 6, 2009

Can I just not grow up?

Plinky is site that provides a 'prompt' every day for people who have trouble thinking of things to write on their blogs. Today's prompt: What do you want to be when you grow up?

I am what I want to be when I grow up!

Of course, it's not that simple. I've wanted to be an actor since I was little, and I am an actor, but it's not the only way I make my living. My childhood self definitely imagined my adult self as a more successful actor. It's like the Joni Mitchell song, "Circle Game," where she says "My dreams have lost some grandeur coming true."

When I was younger, I always thought that meant that when you get what you want, it turns out to be not as wonderful as you thought, but now it seems to be more about revising your naive fantasies to fit reality, realizing that you are living your dream, just not the pie-in-the-sky version of it you initially conceived.

Then again, I do sometimes fantasize about totally different careers based on my other interests. What if I were a librarian? A vet? A chef? If for some reason I had to change careers (like I was struck by lightning and all of my acting ability vanished?) I think I would go back to school and become a paleontologist.

Secretly, though; in my heart of hearts, I want to be a Time Lord when I grow up.

2 remarks:

Zoe said...

When I grow up I want to be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-KGiwGn1d8

I think I e-mailed about this a few years ago. Oh, time and YouTube!

Anonymous said...

That made me waste ten minutes of my life looking for the proposal scene in Rebecca on YouTube.

"I'm asking you to marry me, you little fool!"

Genius.

Post a Comment